Revealing the Newly-Painted Furniture a la Pottery Barn

I mentioned last week that I was sick and tired of my Colonial style bedroom furniture. I’m not exactly sure how it was ever my style, but we all make some questionable choices in our twenties, don’t we? Despite my dislike, it really is quite nice. We had the forethought to buy the best we could afford, which meant all-wood Broyhill. Knowing it wasn’t in the budget to buy new furniture right now, I began looking for ways to change what we have. After seeing several different “Creating Pottery Barn Black” tutorials on Pinterest, I thought it was worth a shot to paint the pieces. The goal was to start small (the nightstand) and move on from there. It would be easier to cover a ruined nightstand than an oversize-style chest of drawers. (The blog entry that most heavily guided me was from Just A Girl blog.)

It was a…success! I chose what I deemed the best tips of all the tutorials and went from there to create my own. Best of all, we didn’t have to sand anything (well, a single spot on the top of the nightstand). I thought I would share our results and my own tips. I will give you fair warning that I don’t have a great camera. Everything I shoot comes from an iPhone 3GS. Forgive the poor picture quality.

Nightstand Before

Nightstand After

Chest of Drawers After

Dresser After

If you’re interested, I’m happy to share information on what we (Eddie and I) used. First, we chose to use only foam rollers (Whizz High Density from Lowe’s) to apply everything, from primer to paint. No brushstrokes! Our primer was Zinsser Cover Stain Primer in white, and we used about 1 1/2 quarts. For paint, we chose Benjamin Moore Low Lustre Finish Acrylic Exterior Latex Paint in 213 Black (about 1 1/2 quarts).

From there, we literally just applied product to the wood. It took two coats of primer per piece (don’t forget, we didn’t sand). It also took about two coats of the paint; we touched up some spots with a third coat.

The most expensive addition was the hardware. With a military discount, we wound up spending $140 on drawer knobs alone. I, personally, think it was worth it, though. And while we’re talking money, I’ll just add that the entire project (not counting labor since it was a DIY project) came in at around $200. Not a bad return on the investment, in my opinion.

As you can see, it isn’t all styled yet. We’re planning to change the bedding and curtains, and we’ll add some decor (and clean off my jewelry box) before it’s all said and done. I’m quite happy with it all, though! I hope this inspires someone to try it.

Advertisements

6 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. dlkfox
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 17:37:38

    This looks great!

    Those foam brushes are awesome, aren’t they?

    Reply

  2. James
    Jan 21, 2012 @ 08:44:13

    Very Nice. That glossy black finish really makes the pieces pop. Most people are afraid black will make things too dark, but it really does ‘class a joint up.’

    Those look great.

    BTW, this is why about half way through when you were thinking “Why in the hell did I start this?” This is why. 🙂

    Reply

    • cstrimel
      Jan 21, 2012 @ 17:57:09

      Yeah, it was dicey in the beginning but I’m so glad I really did push through the learning curve. Now I just need to get the red comforter off. It’s a tad “bordello” with the red and black. Ha

      Reply

  3. Bailey Mikell
    Jan 21, 2012 @ 17:47:13

    It does look very nice, you did an excellent job!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: